Mold exposure is another generally unrecognised factor which can cause, or contribute to, a wide range of illnesses. Mold produces mycotoxins, which are mold derived toxic chemicals which have a variety of negative influences, including being immuno-suppressive and neurotoxic. Mold exposure should be considered in any chronic medical condition, including chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Don't rule out mold as a possible issue if you have no obvious visible mold in your house as a significant proportion of mold cases are due to 'hidden mold'.
Toxic mold signs/symptoms.
- Dry throat or frequent/ongoing coughing
- Irritated, stinging or burning sensation of throat or mouth
- Throat hoarseness / changed voice (e.g. raspy/weak)
- Metallic taste in mouth
- Wheezing, irritated lungs or bronchitis
- Shortness of breath / chest tightness
- Irritated, sore or burning eyes
- Red or watery/tearing eyes
- Sensitivity to bright light
- Nasal congestion / running or stuffy nose / sneezing / nose bleeds
- Irritated, stinging or burning nose or nasal passage / nasal itching
- Sinusitis / sinus congestion, pressure or discomfort
- Stinging, burning or itchy skin / skin sensitivity to light touch
- Spaciness / dizziness / vertigo
- Headaches / ‘ice pick’ or ‘lightening bolt’ pains
- Memory and concentration problems
Toxic mold risk factors.
- People who live/work/school in the same building as you also have symptoms/signs present in the box above
- You changed house/work/office/school/class room shortly before the onset or exacerbation of your symptoms
- If you leave your house, work place or school for days or more (or even several hours) your symptoms reduce
- Musty/moldy/mildewy odor in your house/work/school
- Previously had water contamination (e.g. leaks/flooding/leaky pipes) in your house/workplace/school
If you are in Australia call Healthy Building Systems and ask about testing options.
Highly recommended book.
Mold Warriors by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker
MOLD WARRIORS tells you what you need to know about mold illness, how to recognize it, treat it and defeat the arguments posed by employers, insurance companies and U.S. government officials, who still wrongly claim that mold "doesn't make anyone seriously ill."
Blake Graham, BSc (Honours), AACNEM
Perth, Western Australia
Phone/Email: See Contact page
*Non-Perth residents may enquire about phone consultations.